About Me

So what is this anyway?

EDIT: This piece of the site is under construction.


So, there are a lot of World of Warcraft gold-making blogs, and I like several of them. There is a lot of good advice all over.

However, what about gold information for those who are just starting or who are just starting on a new server? Certainly, gold in World of Warcraft isn't too hard to come by, but I want to make a blog for those who just started a level one on a server and are trying to get some gold for their mounts. That is what I am trying to do here.

My goal is to start a new character on a new server and examine some piece of gold making. I am not going to go into the high level gold making stuff, that is for others. This is to help you get started on gold making. Not all of the ideas are new, and when I post something, I will try and give credit to the place I read about it.

That is about it. If you want to contact me, you can send me an email to WoW.Ohnekase@gmail.com

You can also follow me on twitter: @WowOhnekase




Saturday, November 12, 2011

Meet Ohnekase: Profession Series, Part Four. Fishing

Meet Ohnekase.

Bladefist, US
OK, so we have talked about the primary gathering professions.  Today, we are going to talk about the secondary profession of Fishing and what it can do for us.

Ok, before we start, let me be completely honest:  I don't like fishing.  I don't think Blizzard has designed it well.  It is slow and kinda boring.  So, this may not be the best guide, but it will still have some information and we will try to make us some good money.

So, for this week, we will look at Ohnekase in another dimension.  In this dimension, Ohnekase was born to Thorak and Marra Blackbrew, who were fishers in Loch Modan.  They made their money fishing and making alcohol.  However, Ohnekase liked to spend time in the nearby town, Thelsamar, spending time with the local ruffians and learning the ways of the street.  Several years later, when Ohnekase was a teenager, he tried to pickpocket a notable thief, who caught him, but was impressed at his guts.  He offered to teach Ohnekase the real ways of the world and the skills to survive.  We will join him as he has just finished his training in Dun Murough.

Ok, so now that we have met Ohnekase, lets talk about fishing.

Fishing...


Ok, so I said I didn't like Fishing cause it was way too slow.  It takes way too long to load.  Well, for an enterprising merchant, this is a good thing.  Most people have my sentiment.  I have played since classic and never hit max fishing.  So, lets see what fish we can do.  Lets check wowhead:

Umm, that isn't much to go on.
Wow, nothing there at all is there.  Hmmm, lets try a different site.  Lets try wowwiki (or wowpedia)


Again, nothing.  Wait a minute, what is this?


This is promising, lets take a look.


OK, so there is a lot here.  Lets just take a look at a few things that Fishing can do for us.

Basic Fish


When you fish, you either get junk (which just sells) or you get a fish.  The basic fish can usually be used for several different things, but most commonly cooking.  If it can be used for cooking, we can probably make money.  Lets take a look at low level fish and see what they go for.



Ok, so there are your basics of what we can catch commonly.  Lets take a look at our server prices.




So they are not going for much, but that doesn't quite mean they are useless.  After all, they are definitely used for cooking and we can probably make some money off of them if we wanted.  My best suggestion for that would be to get yourself a stack of them or so (maybe something like 50 smallfish and Mud Snapper), then post in trade chat that you have both of them and are willing to sell them both to someone (with the recipes if you are feeling really nice) and tell people they can level cooking from 1 to 80 or so with those stacks for, say 20 gold.

Could this work?  Absolutely.  Remember that people are lazy and will pay gold to be able to not have to do a ton of work.  If you are offering to let them skip a chunk of it, then many people will bite.

Lets check something a little different with Fishing Pools

Fishing Pools


Fishing pools are awesome.  I said above that fishing can get you either junk or small fish.  But not from pools.  It does not matter where you fish and what zone you are in, you get 100% drop rate from pools.  Lets look at fish from pools.

Used by Alchemists for Blackmouth Oil, which they use in a lot of their water potions.  Useful
Notice that there are only 3 of them.  That shows a lack of thinking in my book.  Blackmouth Oil can be used for several point, I would bet we can make money here.  You could probably get some good money posting at the mean price here.

Used in Cooking and Alchemy for fun recipes (Savory Deviate Delight and Elixir of Giant Growth)

Ok, so we have looked at a couple of good ones.  I will show you one more, from a really high zone (which I might die a lot to get to, but lets see what happens.


Yes, there are places you can get these from, no matter what level of fishing you have.  So, lets go ahead and try and train some fishing.

I'm going fishing, where's my beer.

First, we get to level 5 so we can learn, lets go ahead and level.

We are gonna play whackey,  whackey, stabby, stabby
Damnit Jim, I am a Rogue, not a doctor.
Booze.  Glorious Booze.  Just like daddy used to make.
Ninja-power Death Strike.  Hyah.
Oh, you trolls better not be messin with my land.

Ok, so we hit level 5.  Yay.  Lets go ahead and get trained.  For ease, I am gonna go to Ironforge to train.

Also, don't forget to buy yourself a Fishing Pole.

Ok, so when you learn, it is really easy to fish.  Get a fishing pole, equip it, go to a piece of water, then use the skill Fishing to fish.

Lets see what I can get. 
Wait for it to sink a bit and make a sound, then click on the bobber.
So, this is really easy and can be used at any water source, but lets try to catch a couple things just to see what we can get.

Useless.  Very useless.  hmmmm...
Yeah, so when you have low fishing, you don't get much of anything.  However, it is not all lost.  That is cause they let you put fishing lures to up your fishing.


There is stuff that even takes your fishing up higher, and will let us get some fish.

However, when we looked at the stuff that we can sell, the standard fish cannot really get us a ton of money (for now).  So I really don't want to go to just anywhere to fish.  Why dont we find a fishing pool and fish there from some good money.

Where can we find Deviate Fishes, Wowhead...

Thank you for asking.  Deviate Fish can be found in the Northern Barrens.
Ok, so Northern Barrens is a Horde Zone.  And it is level 10-15, so I will probably get killed a lot on my way, however, I am getting money and am not worried too much about dying.  Time for Ohnekase to get a lot of Exercise

NOTE:  To get to the Northern Barrens from Ironforge, I went to Stormwind, got on the boat to Darnassus, and then traveled south from Darkshore, through Astranaar.  Yes, I died....12 times.  But hey, I hit level 6 by running across the world :P
I made it.  I am dead and I have to Resurrect......again.  But I made it.

Ok, so now that we are here, we are going to fish at the Deviate Schools and see what we can get from them.
Ok, finally, here we go. 
Make sure to get your bobber right in the pool.  Again, it is 100% drop from inside the pool.

Ok, so I just grabbed the three Deviate Fish pools  that were around (yes, I died several more times).  I ended up with a total of 8 Deviate Fish.  But lets sell said 8 Deviate Fish and make some money.

Nothin up huh?
So, there is nothing up, but it is a low deposit.  Lets try to make some good money on it.  After all, we ran around for an hour or so to get to the Barrens.  So we will try for 8 gold each.

Lets see where we get to....

Later...


Hurray, it sold
That is nice.  We sold our fish. 8 Fish for 40 gold (minus greedy goblin fees).  Not bad.

Was it worth it?


Ok, so in order to actually get that, I spent a little over an hour just running down there, plus I died several times.  Was it worth it?  for 40 gold, it definitely wasn't a horrible experience, and to be honest entertaining.

So, to be fair, I probably wouldn't have done it if I weren't writing this blog.  However, it does bring up and interesting idea.  If pools are 100% fishing, then picking up fishing and fishing in pools as you wander by them can make you some good money.  Really, if I had been playing Horde and been leveling in the barrens, I could have made at least 50% of that with probably no deaths (cause presumably I would have been doing it while questing).  Then it would have termed into 20ish gold for 10 minutes worth of work (very worth it).

However, even then, I still will admit I dont have max fishing, and I don't fish very often.  But, that is because it breaks my primary rule when I play wow:  have fun.  I think fishing is boring personally, so I don't do it.  But I have met people who do enjoy it.  Maybe I just need a friend to do it with (maybe that is how people like real fishing).  Or maybe I need to bring myself some alcohol while I do it.  Who knows?

The thing to remember is that you can make money from fishing.  It just takes some decision making.

Next week


Ok, so we did most of the profession.  For now, I am going to skip the gathering ones, cause while there are still good ways to make money from them, I want to talk about something a little different.

Next week, we are going to talk about Vendors and how they can make us money.  It may require us to get ourselves a small amount of capitol, but we will get there when the time comes.

So, thank you for reading, and...

See ya next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment