About Me

So what is this anyway?

EDIT: This piece of the site is under construction.


So, there are a lot of World of Warcraft gold-making blogs, and I like several of them. There is a lot of good advice all over.

However, what about gold information for those who are just starting or who are just starting on a new server? Certainly, gold in World of Warcraft isn't too hard to come by, but I want to make a blog for those who just started a level one on a server and are trying to get some gold for their mounts. That is what I am trying to do here.

My goal is to start a new character on a new server and examine some piece of gold making. I am not going to go into the high level gold making stuff, that is for others. This is to help you get started on gold making. Not all of the ideas are new, and when I post something, I will try and give credit to the place I read about it.

That is about it. If you want to contact me, you can send me an email to WoW.Ohnekase@gmail.com

You can also follow me on twitter: @WowOhnekase




Monday, January 23, 2012

Meet Ohnekase: Profession Series: Jewelcrafting.

Meet Ohnekase, Part 2 of 2

Earthen Ring, US
Ok, part 2 is here.  So lets talk about Jewelcrafting and making some good money from it.

Jewelcrafting, huh?  You want to be a Jeweler....why?


Jewelcrafting (Or JC for short) is a profession that makes Rings, Amulets and, later, Gems.  At high levels, most people will tell you that it pairs so well with Enchanting and; makes you a ton of money, and they are right.  However, at low levels, I believe you can still make money as well.

The fun thing about rings and amulets are that you don't get any really until after level 10 or so, and they are not prevalant til way past level 10.  Seriously, a lot of people have alts in the 20s and 30s that still don't have both ring or an amulet slots.  I know it has happened to me a number of times.  So we can do something with that.

In addition, because we have been buying low on Copper, it will reduce our price.  Even some of the materials we make can be used for other things.

So lets look into the two pieces of it.

Crafting and Prospecting...


One interesting thing about this profession, and others, is that it is both a Crafting profession and a Gathering profession....sort of.  This is because Jewelcrafters have the unique ability to take 5 Ore and break them down into gems.  For example, I can take 5 Copper ore and break it down.  Breaking Copper Ore down gives me a chance of getting any of the following:  Malachite, Tigerseye, and Shadowgems.  These are then used in the crafting, or you can sell them.  However, that does also mean you can look at ore and, if it is cheap, prospect it and sell the gems.  That is really the base of how the Cata Ore shuffle works :P

For more specific values for this, check out the Jewelcrafting page of The Undermine Journal.  This will give you the value of the Ore, the Value of it as a Bar, and the Value of it Prospected.

Of course, on the other side, we have the crafting side.  For most stuff, you need a Jewelcrafter's Kit, which is cheap, and sometimes a forge or anvil.  You can make rings, and then do whatever we want with them.  You also will make some setting and such (Copper wire, Bronze Setting, etc.)  Some of those even have value outside the profession.

But enough talk, lets look at Ohnekase.

Ohnekase, Apprentice Jewelcrafter


So, obviously, the first thing we need to do is train it.  If you are in Stormwind, Theresa Denman (On the Canals touching the Trade District) can train you.  In Orgrimmar, Lugrah in the Valley of Honor can Train you.

10 Copper, that's it.  OK, take a check?
Sweet, i am now a Jewelcrafter.  What did I get for my trouble?



Some Wiring, a little statue, and a couple of rings.  Not great, but lets see.

First, I said that some of the settings and such can be useful.  Well, Delicate Copper Wire can be useful to other professions.  How?


Great, another reagant.  What the heck is Fused Wiring for?


Engineers love this stuff.  And they aren't easy to get.  Lets totally put some of those up.  So, lets do some Copper Wire for start (I also need several of them for later crafts anyway).

So I made Copper Wire til I got to 35 Jewelcrafting, which got me the ability to train for several other items.

Now lets look at rings, and lets see if any of them can make us money.


Ok, so we now have a list of rings that we can make and possible make money from.  Knowing this, lets talk about Threshold.  (And no, I am not talking about what happens if you have 7 cards in your graveyard, though Ohnekase gets +3/+3 if that happens).

Threshold in this context is the idea that we have a bottom price for what we can sell items for and still make money.  For example, if you make an Item and it costs 1 gold, you do not want to sell it for less than 1 gold if you can help it..  If you are trying to profit off of it, as long as you can sell it for more than 1 gold, 5 silver (5% is the traditional Auction House Cut), then you can make money.  So, in theory, your Threshold (also called a floor) is around 1 gold, 5 silver.

Now lets take a look at one of the rings, see what they cost to make, and see what they go for (There are addons that can help with this, but we will start manually).

So lets start with something simple, the Woven Copper Ring..

The Woven Copper Ring costs 2 Delicate Copper Wire and 1 Copper Bar.  Remember that we get Copper for around 15-25 silver each, so lets just go a little over and call it 30 Silver per Copper Ore/Bar.  This will cover the 5% the AH takes.  So, based on our calculations of our cost of materials, we get...

2 Delicate Copper Wire = 4 Copper Bar (1g 20 Silver)
1 Copper Bar (30 Silver)
Tota (1g 50 s)

So if we sell these for 1g 50 silver or more, we can make some money on them.  Are there any up on the AH?

That'd be a no there, disembodied voice.
So, no.  Occassionally, we will see them up for cheap, but for now, nothing is up.  Why don't we try one of those and see what we can make for it

I am going to put it up for 2g 50 s.  The reason is that for an alt (which a lot of low level characters are these days), 2g50s isn't bad, and the casting classes really like Intellect.  Besides, if it doesn't sell, we will be fine.  We can afford a bit of loss if we need to.

Ok, so that is the idea, lets try this with each Ring or amulet I have.

Here we go:

Braided Copper Ring:  2 Delicate Copper Wire = 4 Copper = 1g20s.  None up on the AH, so lets try another 2g50s.

Heavy Copper Ring:  4 Copper Bar + 4 Copper Bar (2 Wire) = 2g40s.  +2 Stam is nice for low level characters (20 health means a lot), so lets try a little higher here.  5 g.

Tigerseye Band:  1 Tigerseye + 2 Copper (1 Wire) = 60s + Tigerseye (which are 4g ea right now).  There are some up for 1g ea, so lets skip it, for now.  If Tigerseye goes down, or the Bands go up, we can try it.

Malachite Pendant:  1 Malachite (50s per, buying a bit to get stock) + 2 Copper (1 Wire) = 1g10s.  There are some up on the AH for 4 gold, so lets try that.  3g 98s.

Ornate Tigerseye Necklace: 2 Tigerseye + 2 Copper + 2 Copper (1 Wire) = 1g20s + Tigerseye x2.  There are some up for 10 gold, but I am going to pass on it for now.  I bet Tigereye will come down, but I will wait on this particular item.

Inlaid Malachite Ring:  2 Malachite (1g) + 2 Copper (60s) = 1g60s.  The ring is up for 15 gold, which is worth trying, cause we can drop it later if the price drops.  14g95s.

Ok, so I posted each of those up for what I said I was going to.  I posted them for 48 hours.  I am going to post this and see then update it when I see where we get to.  If one sell, I will probably craft another and put it back up.

The reason being is that I want to try and move as much JC as I can.  I get money every time, so there is no reason for me to not keep at least one on there as much as long as they are still profitable.

Later....

Well, we will get to that.

We got to it.  This is about 24 hours after my JC post here is what we have sold.  I made sure to repost as things sold.


Notice, little items sold pretty well  In fact, I upped the price each time on the Woven to see where it would go.  That is good.

The Emerald Item was me trying out the mogFathers item stuff.  At least one thing sold.  I have been buying a lot more stuff.  Not sure.  I may shoot myself in the foot with it.  But I don't think I will.

I will keep you updated.

Conclusion...

Ok, so we aren't quite done yet, but I like to talk about the use of Jewelcrafting.

On my Main Server (which I will talk about later), I have been testing this strategy with my cross-faction character.  I end up moving pieces for far more than I put into them.  As such, I can attest that with some low level profesisons, you can turn minor silly items, or items that have been passed up into real money.  Why do people like Malachite Pendants?  Because it is the best Amulet at lvl 14 and new leveling characters, as well as people who like to play level 14 pvp want it.  So they don't mind paying a bit more to get items which have real benefits to their characters (I am guessing it is the same with the Heavy copper ring.

Dont be afraid to experiment with low level items.  Put one up, see how it sells.  If it doesn't, don't make another and try again.  If it does, put another up and tweak the price.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Eventually, you will probably come up with an equilibrium that you are happy with.

So, join me later as we recap and see how we did.

See Ya Next Time....

No comments:

Post a Comment